Thursday, March 28, 2013

My reflection looked back at me and told me what a good girl I was. Look at all the pain you have caused, it told me. Look at yourself.

It was me, but it wasn't. It was more beautiful than I could ever have hoped to look. It's hair was dark brown, chestnut, and it fell in waves, curling like little snakes around its shoulders. It smiled at me and its teeth straight and white and had little points on the end.

It raised one hand -- one perfectly manicured, silky smooth hand -- and gestured for me to walk forward. "Come," it said. "You have felt pain and sorrow and heartache. Let me give you love. Let me make you something better. As I am now, so you shall be."

The mirror showed me my deepest wishes, my longings to be prettier and smarter. It showed me seducing men and women, making them kneel before me, worshiping me, kissing the scales on my feet.

I almost gave in. I almost took its hand. But when I raised my own hand, there was the gun and my reflection recoiled. And I remembered. This was not real, this was not my reflection. This was just another monster.

It hissed at me and I remembered all of my wishes, all of the darkest desires I had. The bullet that formed was sleek and mirrored. The reflection tried to pushed forward with its claws, but I had already pulled the trigger.

The mirror and what was inside it shattered into a million pieces.

As I gingerly stepped over the mirror shards, I looked down at one of them and found the reflection, its skin peeling, turning to dust and nothing. It was trying to say something. Its lips moved and I remember what it had said before:

"As I am now, so shall you be," it was saying.

I stepped on the shard and it broke apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment