Friday, April 19, 2013

I walked towards the door, but by the time I had gotten there, it was gone. It had moved to another wall. I walked to the other wall and the door moved again. I did not see it move, but it was gone by the time I had gotten there, so it must have.

Every time I found the door again, it moved. The door did not like me.

Of course it didn't. There was another monster, a monster in the shape of a city, beyond that door. And I was going to kill it.

The man in the gray suit told me it would be difficult to find. "It feeds on lost souls and is used to being lost itself," he said. "But you will find it. Find a door and you will find it."

I found a door. It was different from other doors I had seen - it had a glow to it, a special attraction. It feeds on lost souls, he had said, so perhaps I am a lost soul. But once I tried to get to the door, it wouldn't let me.

I raised the gun, but then stopped. If I just shot the door, would it do any good? No, I needed to shoot the monster beyond the door. I needed to be there. The gun would lead me there, I knew it. So I held the gun forward like a flashlight and walked carefully towards the door. It stayed still until I put my hand upon the doorknob and when I turned it, the door turned itself, like a carousel, and I found myself inside the monster. Inside the city.

There was only one road, but it went everywhere, even places it shouldn't, couldn't have gone. It twisted like a Mobius strip, but the buildings were worse. There moved as soon as I looked away, twisted themselves into increasingly complicated shapes, shapes that made my head hurt. The walls of the city started to close in on me, the ground shifting beneath my feet. Rows of doors presented themselves to me, but I wasn't leaving yet. The job wasn't done.

I raised the gun high into the air and fired it. I asked the man in the gray suit how can I killed a monster the size of a city, but he told me that it wasn't the size of a city - it was the size of a world, always shifting, always changing. And he had already show me how to kill a world.

The bullet came down, but now it was bigger. Now it was a meteor, a meteor made from everything I had ever lost, coins and socks and chances and loves. I opened a door and stepped back through it as the bullet came down and the buildings crumbled and a dust cloud burst upward. The monster that was a city tried to shift and become something else, something that could survive, but this was an extinction event. Nothing survives.

I closed the door behind me and watched as it turned to dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment