Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The store sold timepieces. All kinds of timepieces - pocket watches and alarm clocks and even grandfather clocks. There was a giant grandfather clock at the back of the store, all dark wood and golden metal.

The gun led me here. I followed the tug of my new bullet. The man in the gray suit told me how to make it.

I opened the grandfather clock and look at the insides, the guts of time, the springs and levers and intricate pieces. I placed my finger inside and stopped one piece from moving. The other pieces spun around, one of them nearly taking off my finger. I pulled my hand away and the pieces of the grandfather clock spun faster and faster. I raised the gun, but there was a bright light and I closed my eyes and then-

The sun felt different. I was outside, but it felt wrong. I opened my eyes and saw that I was in some sort of junkyard. Rusted pieces of metal and wire surrounded me. I looked around and saw a gleaming tower made of what seemed like everything - every bit of scrap, even pieces of flesh and bone and sinew. I would have thrown up, but I had already shot away my revulsion.

I raised the gun. Would the bullet be able to kill something that big? One small bullet versus a tower that stretched to an unknown sky. Only one way to find out.

I had made the bullet out of my future. The man in gray told me as I did it that it was made from all the days I would have lived had I not found the gun. It was my future as a bullet. Bang bang.

The bullet sounded strange. It looked like nothing I had ever seen, gleaming brighter than the sun. I was as my future grew larger and larger, the days of my could-have-been life seeming bigger and bigger until it hit the tower and exploded.

The explosion rocked the world around me. The metal melted and the string burst into flames. Everything was burning and I had just killed my future.

Too late for regrets. Too late for anything except to move forward. The gun led me here and it led me out. I stepped backwards and found myself next to the grandfather clock, only now it looked blackened and burned, its insides melted.

Time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment